Friday, January 05, 2007

Wow - it's Finally Friday


and I'm hella tired!!!! After having a week off from work and not setting and alarm but simply getting up when I was awake -which was respectably between 8-8:30 am, I am now back to work. Or rather have been back to work for a week.

I got the bright idea that I would work early hours - extending the work-free afternoon portion of my day. I have been up at the ungodly hour of 6am everyday this week and let me tell you.... I don't like it!! I am not what you would call a morning person - and the idea of going through the whole, up, shower, blow dry, make-up, dress, grab stuff and head out the door (in under 30 min) while it is still dark... well - it's not for me.

But - today... it is finally... FRIDAY!! yeah!

I have now been at work for an hour (it's 8:00 am) and have my tea in hand and my belly is full (I treated myself to a breakfast sandwhich and a hashbrown this morning - along with a cold apple juice). Awaiting me on my desktop is the remainder of the month end invoices to input, and a proposal that needs to be finished for a new client... and yet - my mind isn't yet into work mode.

With my newly single status... not bragging - just pointing out the facts - I would say I have survived the first week of the new year - fairly well. However - I have to admit, this week has been out of my normal routine. My daughter has been spending the week with her Dad - which after a tough December (for all of us) has been a bit of a break for me. I haven't had to worry about anyone other than myself for dinner, bedtime or morning routine, etc. etc.

I believe my new found "optimistic spirit" and levels of "patience" will truly be put to the test upon her return. Back to the routine of things, the lunch making, homework doing, bath&bed routine. BUT.... I think I am prepared, to be the "New Year - New Mom".

I have once again (not that I haven't always been) re-committed to being the best Mom I can be. That isn't an easy thing to admit - because it implies I wasn't doing my best before. I was. But now I will approach it with less distraction. I want to re-inforce my relationship with my daughter before she hits those teenage years... which means instead of finding myself caught up in my own thoughts and worries - paying closer attention to hers. Actually spending the occaisional hour sitting at the table or on the floor colouring with her. Listening to what she has to say - not just nodding and making the occaisional listening noises, while worrying about other things.

I believe I am a good mom now - but that's not the point - I think I can do better - and that is something I want.... to do better. To see her smile and laugh more, rather than to listen to her ask me "is something wrong mom?... you look unhappy?"

What a ramble... so it's Friday - I will be seeing her this weekend (wow I have really really missed her!) Tonight - I have a hot date with a garbage bag, a broom, and a dust rag... pretty exciting huh.... maybe if I get all my chores done I will even treat myself to a movie or maybe I'll just take a hot bath and read a book.... in anycase - my plans are my own, and I will enjoy my last night or two of semi-freedom, and then embrace the "routine" of my life come Sunday.

Alright.... now about those invoices and proposal (picture me rolling my eyes and sighing....)

p.s. is it just me - or do other people find certain smells remind them of things? It can't be just me... here goes, Crayola Crayons and scotch tape - remind me of Christmas morning and all the creative potential of a blank piece of paper..... I have the tools in hand - and the blank canvas of the new year in front of me.... so here goes!!

No comments: