Friday, February 23, 2007

Single and Dateless on a Friday night?

So here's the deal. It's a Friday night.... and I want to go out... for dinner. Typically I wouldn't dream of going out to dinner on a Friday night without a companion. I would sit at home and sulk if I wanted to go out and had no one available to go, and then come Sunday mourn a weekend lost.

Friday nights my daughter goes and spends the night with her Dad. And I have a night to myself. Typically I'd go to a movie - cause you don't raise any eyebrows going to a movie solo. But dinner - it's more obvious.
Did she get stood up?
Is she waiting for the rest of her party to arrive?

I did the nearly unthinkable (for me) thing. I called a local, respectable, middle of the road restaurant downtown and made a reservation.... for "one".

The voice on the other line paused only momentarily, and then quickly recovered and said "No problem, 8:30, party of one, we look forward to having you. If you want to come a little early, say 8:15, you could have a seat at the bar while you wait".

Uh - don't think I'm ready for the seat at the bar... just yet. I'm a solo dining virgin. But I am determined to do this. I've combed my hair, fixed my make-up, applied fresh lipstick. Nothing special but at least the bare minimum effort I'd make if I was going with someone else.

I am trying to bolster my courage and self esteem to not miss out on things I want to do - or be dependant on someone else for my good time. I will take a folder with some things in it - in case I feel a little awkward, make some notes perhaps about my impending move, review my resume etc. All things I'd never do on a real date. But hey - I'm going out with "me". I'm fun, amusing, and a good companion... to everyone but myself. This is an area where I need to increase my comfort level....

I'm starting tonight

Wish me luck. Life as a Single Parent,,,, table for "one"

No comments: