Thursday, May 31, 2007

Not the Beer Drinking Type?


A friend of mine commented once on how I didn't seem the beer drinking type. Truth be told I'm not. I can imagine myself drinking a cold beer in only a few scenarios - a hockey game, while camping, eating hot chicken wings or after a hard days' work on a hot day.

The comment made me think about the last time I can recall truly enjoying a cold beer. It would have been three years ago in August. I had just moved out of my house into an apartment with an enormous balcony - it actually wrapped around two sides of my apartment and afforded a sliver view of the lake. I was quite pleased with the score - and had just prior to moving purchased a couple of do-it yourself assembly Adirondak Chairs from Canadian Tire.

For me there is something tremendously satisfying about accomplishing a small task that I would have thought was beyond me - don't laugh, such as replacing a toilet seat, painting a room, or assembling a piece of furniture.

I arrived home after work, one hot August evening, and when I say hot - I mean stinkin hot, all prepared to tackle the task of assembling my new chairs. There was a pleasant breeze on the balcony - so this idea was far preferrable to unpacking indoors - where there was nary a breeze to be found. I threw on my jeans and and a tank top and tackled the first obstacle - which was simply to open the box. The industrial sized staples holding it together meant I had my work cut out for me.

Being a girl with a few tools to her name - I got out my Regular screwdriver (not the Robinson or Phillips) and went to work. Part way into my task - it occurred to me why the males in my life referred to a task as a 1, 2 or three beer job. I was willing to bet that for me - this would at least qualify as a one beer job.

I proudly and independantly approached my girl fridge, opened the door - and discovered with pride..... 6 Beers!!! left over from moving day. I opened a bottle - with my bare hands and not the oh so feminine opener, took and icy-cold slug and sauntered back out to "My" balcony, with my screwdriver in my back pocket, screws in the front pocket - beer in hand and faced my new (unassembled) chairs - head on.

I CAN DO THIS!!!!!
(she said with images of beating her chest with her fists, in her head)

With one extra cold sip for good measure - I not only tackled those chairs, but I conquered the task at hand. In an hour and a half I had put together not one, but 2 chairs for my balcony, finished my cold beer and opened another to celebrate and enjoyed every mouthful.

Today I sit here in those very same chairs, in the front yard of my new home (home!) and enjoy with a book and a cup of tea, or on a hot evening a glass of wine or the ever faithful Gin & Tonic.

p.s. I just discovered these very same chairs are about $20 cheaper now than when I first bought them - perhaps I could get a couple more!

No comments: